Saturday, March 13, 2010

Journal #4-Domain #4-Teaching and Instruction

Describe different ways (strategies) the teacher presents material to the student
  • I observed Mrs. Jones using a K/W chart to introduce physic's vocab words. 
  • She used an internet activity to introduce polymers; what they are and where they can be found in our environment.
  • labs are also used frequently to present information in a way for students to explore the information themselves and come to their own conclusion
What type of student groupings does the teacher use? (one-on-one, pairs, small groups, whole class?)
  • the students originally are grouped into four at their science table
  • Mrs. Jones also created a science buddy program. Each student has a chart that lists their different science buddies. The students have a chart with different science pioneers. Next to the "pioneers", are different students names assigned by age, siblings, homeroom, teacher, and gender. This allows the students to work with different children that they would not work with normally.
What techniques are used to assess and evaluate learning? Describe any assessment technique you have 
observed.
  • science starters= Mrs. Jones uses science starters as a way to access and asses prior learning.
  • exit slips
  • class participation
  • class/homework assignments/labs
  • projects
What are you learning about this age group?
  • students are able to grasp new information pretty fast
  • they  are more focused on fellow students than on teacher or lesson
  • students are very self centered. "school incidental in life", Mrs Jones.
What do students enjoy and dislike most?
  • students dislike long projects. One day Mrs. Jones didn't assign any homework because she said that she would be assigning a big project soon. The students yelled out, "NO NO, give us homework!'
  • Students tend to enjoy science starters. 
Do you see technology being used in the classroom?
  • students used laptops in pairs to search website for information and games so as to learn about subject. Mrs. Jones provided an accompanying worksheet to fill out.
  • the teacher uses her own laptop to create powerpoint, show videos, and science starters.
  • she also uses projector to project what is shown on laptop
  • teacher also uses document camera frequently
So this is the last blog for my observations and I have to say I really enjoyed it! I mentioned in my first blog that I used to teach preschool, so mid level science class was totally out of my comfort zone!! But I learned a lot about the age group and different teaching strategies. But I learned that despite the different "lessons", teaching across the age groups are pretty much the same. First we must engage the students, then they must explore what they are learning. After the students have explored, it is time for us to explain what they have learned. These are the four "E's" Mrs. Jones wanted me to follow while writing my lesson plan. 
While observing Mrs. Jones, I appreciated how she would use different techniques to help the children explore new information. This would make new material more interesting for the students, and helps them relate it to their own lives. She also helped students understand the material by asking probing questions which makes the students analyze the information. I really enjoyed observing at Lincoln Prairie, I learned so much.

1 comment:

  1. Another outstanding journal response. I like how you used bullets and I can really see the various assessments your teaching uses, the different strategies and the all the elements of the classroom. Your reflection shows a strong growth pattern fro this expereince. I can't wait to see you grow as a teacher and a reflective practioner.

    ReplyDelete